Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Brady Owen Thun





 Brady Owen joined our family on Saturday, November 6 at 10:04 AM. What a blessing he is to our family - already hard to imagine living without him :) Here is a description of the day leading up to the birth. 

That Thursday before, I had a doctor appointment. I was happy to hear he was still head down after our fun breach experience. The doctor did check my cervix and I was still just at 1cm. With a week to go before my due date I wasn't expecting much more. The next day I went to school and taught my morning classes. I picked Leah up from daycare and headed home. As I was getting Leah's lunch ready, I started to feel some contractions - but only while standing/walking around. Any time I sat down though, I didn't have any. So I assumed they were just Braxton Hicks. As the day progressed, Luke came home and I told him about the contractions. He started watching me closely and noticed I was having them almost consistently on the hour. We went to bed with them still happening about every hour. Then I woke up at 11;30 with them happening about every half hour. They continued progressing and at 1:30 Luke asked how I was doing - he jumped into gear when I said contractions were every 3-5 minutes apart. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible, and with it being the middle of the night I did not want to wake up any of my family to come stay with Leah. Finally at 6:30 I called my mom and asked her to come over as contractions were getting more intense. Leah woke up before we left so it was nice being able to say goodbye to my first baby! We got to the hospital a little before 8. I told Luke on our drive there, "I just need to be at least a 2!" They checked me, and I was at 7cm already! Woohoo! Contractions weren't even 'that' bad yet, so that was great. With being a 7 already, I decided not to get the epidural since it was going so quick. (I did get one with Leah). by 9:30 I was between 9-10 cm, but my water had not broken yet. The doctor came in and broke it around 9:45 and within 15 minutes I was needing to push. I pushed for about 5 minutes - the absolute hardest 5 minutes of my life. So much different not having an epidural, but so proud that I did it. I did get to feel Brady coming out, which was kind of cool, even though in the moment I was not enjoying anything! ;) 

Brady weighed 8lbs 8 oz and was 21.5 inches long. Dark hair, Leah's face, and just perfect all around. Welcome to the family, Brady! 

No comments:

Post a Comment